Hello, kia ora, hoe gaan dit, namaste, ni hao!

Hi...

I have had an interesting time lately and it has been mostly with my thoughts. I have been doing heaps of research and reading and thinking about what I'm acually going to start studying! I was originally going to be studying Civil Engineering.

But my goals and dreams have change in such a short period of time, that I'm seriuosly considering a degree in Social Sciences!! I know it's crazy, I spoke to someone the other day and I was telling them how weird it is that it never occurred to me before to do Social Sciences, and they replied that perhaps I needed time to figure out who I was and what actually captures my soul.

I have a really keen interest in Community Development. Working with communities by allowing them to dictate and take ownership of the needs that will most benefit them.

Andy Crowe

Monday, 19 October 2009

A blessing... and a curse...

I have recently been to a 'Conference' it was only one day, so it was bearable!

The guy who spoke (Brian Mclaren) is well known for what might come across as being a bit too controversial. But, needless to say I find comfort in that. I feel more at peace with a theology that seriously looks at how we interact with the social systems of our day as opposed to the monotonous thrashing of abstract and specualtive doctrines...

So it was good on one level... he had some good stuff to say... but I've read most of his books and his talks were basically a summary. And this I think is where the 'curse' get laid down...

We have in part, not all of us I might add, become obssessed with the next best idea, the next best speaker and the newest book. I love books and ideas... but this is all too much. No point going to seminars about a 'practical' theology. When does it become practical, all it does is fuel our apologetic cannons so that we can one up that guy at church who is set in his ways (ok that was a bit of an exaggeration!). But what now do we continue to go to seminars, do we continue to read books, do we continue to go out for a coffee, do we continue on talking about the most revolutionary ideas in history and just sit on our hands while time keeps passing us by?

The answer is pretty simple right? We'd love to shout out a resounding, "NO!" But it's not that easy, is it?

With all that said, this is actually the blessing of going to one too many conferences. We get frustrated, we get aggitated, some of us might just be apathetic to the cause. But I had some really cool conversations with really good friends of mine, that is a blessing. For me, and I hope it is the same for you, the milling of ideas that subvert the current way things are done inspire new practical ways of engaging, prosperity, equity and security.

If anything, I will probably go to more conferences in the near future because there are great people to meet, ordinary people who are looking for some inspiration and it's in those conversations with those people, not the lecture from the pseaker up front, that I get some of the divine inspired ideas I have ever come across...

Conferences, books, talks...

It's a blessing and a curse...    

AndyC

oh yes I have another blog as well, criticalpixels.blogspot.com , I reflect on art, film, images and culture in a light hearted manner...

No comments: